Monday, January 13, 2014

quality literature: the kite runner

i started reading this during some down time in an inclusion drafting class i was sitting in on at the high school.  one of the senior boys in the room noticed and said, "are you reading that?  man, it's dark."  after finishing the book, i am in total agreement with his assessment.  the book is dark from beginning to end.  there is only an ever so slight ray of light flickering to life in the final pages, but that smile makes it all completely worthwhile.  redemption is the powerful message and central theme to "the kite runner."  innocence paid a high price for human weakness in this novel and the subsequent redemption was costly.  bleak and profound.  that is my assessment.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you about this book---but it is one of my favorites. I've also read 1000 Splendid Suns---excellent and am planning on reading And the Mountains Echoed. I love learning so much about a culture that I have no association with. If it weren't for my book club I would never have picked up The Kiterunner to begin with!

    ReplyDelete